Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year Resolution

I don't know if people have given up on resolutions. But there seems to be quite a no. of things I would like to do for 2009. Amongst them,
1) learning Bollywood Dance (yes...pls do not laugh)
2) learning photography
3) putting more efforts in my grooming & exercise
4) picking up keyboard & vocal classes (re-learning)
and the list goes on. Then, I went to check with my colleague on his resolutions but ended up being enlightened from a discussion with him.

He differentiated a "new experience" from a "must-do in life" when he define his resolutions. To him, a resolution should be a dream (amongst the many) that he would like to fulfil in his lifetime. Failing which, will leave him with regrets. A new experience, on the other hand, is an ad-hoc desire which he would like to do, if possible. But failing which, will not make him any bitter or less fulfilled in life. What I have just listed seem to fall into the latter definition.

What was interesting in hearing his insight is about how I often mistake a short term goal for a long term one. Why do I make resolution? Is it not to better keep me in focus on my efforts & activities for the year? But aren't these suppose to help me better live out my life, with less & less regrets as the years go by? In that case, shouldn't resolutions also help build up towards a goal that may span a longer term and greater fulfillment in life? Sometimes, my vision gets myopic (not just from the long hours before the computer) as circumstances are ever-changing. So why bother? Better to take each day as it comes. Today's conversation reminded me of my life-long resolution which I made in my varsity days.

Back then, a question was thrown to us in one of our tutorials "What is the one thing you would like to be remembered for, before you die?" After some thoughts, my reply was "...to be remembered that I have made a difference in someone's life, that I have brought them closer to Christ..." was the answer within me. Since then, that has been the goal in my life, be it in my workplace, home or ministry. I can't say I have accomplish much in this area but it continues to be my lifetime effort. This goal still remain valid today. But looking at the greater scheme of things now, I then begin to wonder how will my 2009 resolutions bring about the accomplishment of my lifetime goal (THE resolution)? Perhaps, I will have to seriously consider re-classifying and deleting some of these 2009 resolutions. Or maybe, I have to re-look at how I could still bring others closer to Christ (make a difference in their lives) when I go about my 2009 resolutions (e.g. perhaps evangelize to a fellow student in my dance, photography class?)

The key is really to remain focus, determined as we head towards our long term goal (whatever you may be called to do). What is often visible, attainable before us need not necessarily be the most important end goal in life. And this short-sightedness might cost us THE regret of our lives.

"Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature be thus minded; and if in anything you are otherwise minded, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained. Brethren, join in imitating me, and mark those who so live as you have an example in us."

~ Philippians 3:13 - 17

No comments: