Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Finding God in Work

I had a good catching up with a friend on Sun for lunch. And it was a timely reminder as we discussed about how we find God in our daily lives and especially so in the most challenging place - work. All the more so for me, who have just switched to a new job.

In my old workplace, I recalled how I would share my faith freely & to say my grace before meals in front of my colleagues. With this new environment, I have somehow stopped all these. Was it a momentarily amnesia as I adapted to my new environment, or was it cos I was ashamed in proclaiming what I believe? I must say the reminder could not be more appropriate. I should only be fearful if my behaviour contradicted to my belief. So yes, a new environment presented a new opportunity again - to share about my faith. I am determined to make God present in my workplace and not just kept in the shelf (church) on every Sunday.

Today I went to work, mindful of finding God in my workplace. As I was walking to my workplace, the radio from one of the cafes was playing the song "Miracle" from the Prince of Egypt movie. "There can be miracle, when you believe...", that's how the line of the chorus went with Mariah Carey singing it. Wow, what a way to start the day! During lunch, I was given the chance to say my grace before meals. It felt a little awkward at first, since my colleagues were mainly non-Christians. But nonetheless, I feel this faith means something to me. I ought to be proud to live it & testify to it. During the end of the day, I received a sms from a church friend who worked in the same area as I did. She informed me that there's a lunch time mass organized on every Tues near my workplace!

What more can I say? It's really not that difficult to find God. Yes, even in the most challenging place. I guess that's what they meant when it is said that we only need to make our first step towards God, and He'll take the rest of the 99 steps towards us. Although He may not necessarily come in the way/form we expect (thunder, dreams, miracles), but He is surely present if we only look (and not see) and listen (and not hear). All it takes, is a simple awareness (examen) and some pondering in our heart, to make meaning of what we experienced. There is no shortcut to this, but a disciplined routine practice, which many before us have come to learn - the art of finding God in our daily lives.

"When you call to me and come and pray to me, I shall listen to you.
When you search for me, you will find me;
When you search wholeheartedly for me, I shall let you find me"

~ Jeremiah 29 : 12 - 14

No comments: