Friday, August 8, 2008

WYD Special - Pre WYD (D-3) Reflection


SYDNEY!

Well, the moment I've been waiting for is finally here! After checking into YHA, we went to George Street to explore Sydney. As we roamed the streets, I came across some demonstrators. They were playing in a band to get people's attention. Some of them carried a long banner, while others solicited for petitions from bystanders to support their cause for human rights.

Their actions amused me initially. What are they trying to do? Do people really care about their cause? But on a more serious note, I wonder "why do they even do it?", "Does it make a difference?" With every 100 people who passed by, perhaps they were looking for that 1-2 people who would stop and make a stand - to support their cause for human rights. And that's all they needed - to make their cause known & to get people to pause amidst their busy-ness. To remind them that despite how small their efforts may be (by just penning down their signatures), it is, at least, a good start.

Looking at this sight, I can't help but wonder if this upcoming WYD could also make this difference. Despite the massive traffic problems that we pilgrims have brought to Sydney, it is my prayer that we could evangelise to the residents here. That even though the world around us continue to rush about their day, some 150,000 registered pilgrims from all over the world, has chosen to set aside a week in Sydney, to proclaim an important truth. I hope people could question our "why" rather than the "what" we are here. We have come to witness to our cause - that Jesus is Alive! We have come together, despite our diversity to share in this 1 common, catholic faith. Though I still do not know what role I play in this WYD, but I'm glad to be part of these 150,000 pilgrims. What & how do we make that difference? I dunno.

Towards the end of our WYD week, I met an Australian lady (from Melbourne) at St. Mary's Cathedral. She turned around & told me : Thanks to you pilgrims, our Prime Minister has made the announcement today, that we will have a dedicated ambassador to the Vatican City. (In the past, they have 1 ambassador that was shared between Ireland & Vatican). You have all made that difference. It is a start of a deepening relationship between
Australia & The Vatican.

I can't help but to thank God silently in my heart, that His seed of love, has indeed been sown in Sydney. We have indeed "Receive the Power" - to bear witness, starting from this end of the world (the southern hemisphere). It is definitely a start; the beginning of a journey.

"Who is Jesus to me?"
Jesus is the Word - to be spoken
Jesus is the Truth - to be told
Jesus is the Way - to be walked
Jesus is the Light - to be lit
Jesus is the Life - to be lived
~ Mother Teresa


No comments: